Thanks for the Nothings

Philippians 4:13 is probably one of the most widely used verses in the Bible. It is the one that states:

I can do all things through Him who strengthen me

For a Bible verse it is quite ubiquitous. I have seen it on bumper stickers, t-shirts, coffee mugs, and especially during sporting events. I have seen this verse used in the Super Bowl, Olympic Events, and even in UFC caged match tournaments as the guys pummel each other.

Personally, it sticks out as a verse that was stitched in Evander Holyfield towel as he walked down to beat the mighty Mike Tyson in 1996.

Remember that one?

No, not the second one which he got his ear bit off. The first one where he won fair and square.



Now, I do not doubt God gives us the physical strength to endure pain and endurance in sporting competition but in context, I believe that it is a verse that is speaks of our ability to be thankful in times of trails and hardships.

Now, before you call me cynical lets look at the chapter in context.

Paul, who is famous for being thankful in times of despair, writes to the church in Philippi in verse 11 -12

Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.

During his ministry, Paul, much like our times now, learned how to continue and be thankful despite financial hardships. He did this through being content (in the Greek it was to be self sufficient) and being joyful regardless his humble means which meant minimal food, water, and shelter. Verse 13 gives us the source of his strength.

I can do all things through Him who strengthen me

In lights of recent events such as rescissions, unemployment, fires, and market crashes it is difficult to give thanks in as season where we set apart a day to do so. However, the Bible is clear not only on how we are to manifest this joy but it is also clear on where we get the strength in order to give thanks in a challenging season.

Philippians 4:13 is not just a verse that refers to the physical strength that God provides during sporting events, but also a reminder of the spiritual strength that results in thankfulness that he provides in the midst of trials.

4 comments:

David said...

I was talking with Joey yesterday about: 'the grace which is sufficient'. Paul in 2 Corinthians 12 talks about the "thorn in the flesh" he received because of all the revelations he has been receiving. A thorn that was used to keep him humble.

Paul initially didn't like or want it at all. He prayed earnestly three times (v8) that the Lord would remove it. God responds: (v9) "My grace is sufficient for you..." Paul later decides to boast in his weaknesses, being content in weakenss, insults, distresses, persecutions, difficulties.

Paul had a change of perspective. He knew by God's response that it's not that we find sufficiency in a grace we ask for in times of trial, but that the times and circumstances themselves are the grace! The grace is already present. Verse 9 continues "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Paul says then that he is boasting "so that the power of Christ may dwell in me".

Christ's indwelling power is grace to overcome not only circumstances, but emotions that can (sometimes sinfully) override our response of thanksgiving in all things. (Phil 4:6).

Paul had to make take on that attitude of contentedness. Not an easy thing to do, especially amidst trying times. But he did it "most gladly" because he also knew that the trials of this life are not worthy to be even compared to the glory that will come.

Thank the Lord in and for all things. If I don't feel the sufficiency, it's often because I'm trying to delight myself in something other than Christ.

joey said...

David stole my response.
I was going to share our conversation when I read this post. Pretty crazy.

A few verses come to mind when I think of this. Philippians 1:29-30
"For to you it has BEEN GRANTED for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake, experiencing the same conflict which you saw in me, and now hear to be in me."

There it is right there. Our suffering has been granted to us. It's a gift (not to mention that our "belief" is a gift too!)

I also think of the whole book of 1 Peter, but specifically chapter 1. Where it talks about the suffering that believers endure which is like "fire" on "gold", and in it we should "greatly rejoice".

I guess I can share one specific topic of our conversation... David and I are going to India. And I told him that one of my first prayers was that I wouldn't get sick. I told him that I find myself trying to "prayer requesting" my way out of things, when instead, if I were enamored with Christ's beauty, if I saw Christ as my greatest treasure, then I think my prayers would look different... (not to say that requesting things from the Father is wrong). I think my anxiety would turn to joy.

Brent Fischer said...

I can't help but share something I had written down when thinking of how our trials, when perceived with a divine perspective, are but blessed means of grace in our lives. "There is nothing better than God's blessings, with the exception of His sufferings." We're so prone to see our blessings as God-given, yet when times are tough, when the every day "unfortunates" hit us, we forget that it is by God that they too are appointed. As A.W. Pink once wrote, "All our disappointments are but God's appointments." They are bestowed by God himself. And He works ALL things, all of these appointments, for the good of those who love him.

So let us count it all joy my brothers when we encounter trials of various kinds, knowing that the testing of our faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that we may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

joey said...

Brent,

That is an awesome A.W. Pink quote.
Thanks for that.