Confessions of a Bad Baker


I baked a cake once and it turned out horrible. It was my first attempt at a Black Forrest Cake and it was undercooked and sunken. I tried to remedy the problem by adding more cherries, shaved chocolate, and chattily cream but it was beyond repair.

Honestly, I did not know what I did wrong. I bought the best ingredients, followed the recipe precisely, and double checked the ovens to make sure they were calibrated. All the trouble shooting techniques that I learned in school and culinary apprenticeship could not give me an answer.

I made several attempts at baked goods later and they all turned out awful. All my cookies, breads, and pastries turned out so bad that to this day I am reluctant to bake. I have had several bad experiences in baking and have never mustered up enough enthusiasm to bake since.

Years later, a co-worker from a restaurant came over my house one day and decided to whip up something for dinner. He made an alarming discovery in my kitchen and asked,

Did you know your measuring cups are all off?

It turns out that the measuring cups and spoons which I had purchased at a dollar store were not accurate. 1 Cup was really 1 ¼ Cups, ½ Cup was really 3/5 Cup, and 1 Tablespoon was 4/5th of a Tablespoon. I was working with inaccurate tools which lead to inaccurate facts and therefore giving me debauched products.

To my understanding a measuring cup was a measuring cup regardless where I got it from. I had since learned not all manufacturers of measuring utensils are regulated and often sell tools which give inaccurate measures. Unfortunately this minor oversight in measuring utensils gave me an inaccurate sense of reality and thus resulting in worthless goods.

***

This is a great analogy for the Bible and its truths. Inaccurate or warped views in theology can lead to distorted Christianity or worse, a false sense of salvation. The Bible is clear about preserving its truth and not altering or adding to what it says;

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. 2 Timothy 2:15-16
Much like the Black Forrest Cake we often compensate for errors by adding to the exterior instead of getting to the root of the problem. In order to remedy the problem we need to get to the heart of the problem and replace false doctrine with the truth. We consistently need to examine our actions and align it with what God intended so we carry out His will.

Even within the Christian label, there are various interpretations. Not all of which are accurate. So therefore it is our duties as Christian to handle the word with attention and be careful to preserve its truth.

3 comments:

joey said...

Vince,

I love your analogies. Well presented. That is such an important fundamental that we can take for granted. The preciousness of scripture should lead to our precision in handling/interpreting/teaching/applying.

I'm taking "Pastoral Epistles" class in school (which covers 2nd Timothy) and I learned that the Greek word for "handling" is "orthotomeo" which means "a straight cut". It reminds me of surgery. Surgeons are very precise in their cuts, and we should have the same precision when reading and interpreting the very Word of Almighty God.

Thank you for your reminder about the seriousness of this inaccuracy - a result in a "distorted Christianity or worse, a false sense of salvation."

David said...

Delicious post. =P

It's so true when theological truths (truths about God, the gospel, grace, etc...) are accurate and exposed, we will find a stronger hunger for the Word. It results in a satisfying-starvation: we simply crave more and more amidst the filling and overflowing joy of God's peace.

What a mystery it is to feel filled and starving at the same time, because of and for the same thing.

dbircsak said...

It's interesting you knew instantly something was wrong with the cake by how it tasted. Now I think of Mormonism or Jehovah's Witness: examples of the wrong measuring cup, and the Devil has these people so deceived. Shows the importance of seeing Fruits of the Spirit or how much we love others, how grateful we are to God.... results of a correctly baked cake.