Praying To Love God for Who He Is and Not What He Gives

As I was praying this morning and expressing my love for God I realized that much of my love for God is because of the things He gives me and not because of Who He is. In a way I was distracted with the gift and not enthralled with the Giver. St. Augustine captured the heart of what I am trying to say when he prayed to the Father and said, "He loves thee too little who loves anything together with thee which he loves not for thy sake." I decided to write out my prayer so that I could share it with you and that it might be a means to examining yourself and the purity of your love for God.

Father, let me love you for who you are and not what you give.

May I see nothing on this earth as more desirable than you

and may I see nothing in Heaven as more worthy than you.

May I treasure you most as I delight in you above all things.

May I count a thousand days on this earth as trivial

compared to one day in your house.

May the presence of others be like a mud pie

compared to the bountiful feast of your presence.

May life on this fleeting earth look like a raindrop

compared to the infinite fountain of your love.

May the treasures of this earth look like tarnish and rust

compared to your unfading and incorruptible glory.

May your gifts not become distractions from you

but avenues that lead me deeper in love with you.

God, you are ever-exceedingly enough.

AMEN.

1 comment:

dbircsak said...

Don't forget when you do receive a gift to appreciate it and enjoy it.

I think we're given a good example of what this is like.. from many sides: as a parent giving a child a gift and they open it and smile and enjoy it and you feel happy. Also the parent who receives a gift from their kid and you open it and it's a painted rock and you smile and say, "thank you this is so sweet" and the kid beams with pride.

Hmm, interesting both examples involve someone of a higher "rank" than the other. I wonder why we even give gifts or receive them? Blah, sorry, I'm zoning...