No Longer the Beholder




I've had the amazing blessing of being able to travel. I've seen most of the country as well as a few others, and can say: there is great beauty out there. But how do I share that with you? It's certainly worth sharing. God's creation is stunning to our eyes (let alone the other senses). Thus, to share it is a blessed interaction that gives Him praise.

I can describe it to you with all the deep founded words of all the languages of the world. Better still, I can show you a photograph in a high resolution that tries to capture all the intricate details. And better still, I can shoot it on motion picture film on a crane or dolly, allowing you to experience the nearly three dimensional aspects of it. To be in its presence, however, would take the cake. Direct interaction. Unimpeded by flawed mediums. You can walk around (environment permitting) and enjoy it more and more, the more perspectives you see and encounter.

That's the best... or is it?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I agree with this on it's intended scope. The scope of mankind. But we must ask, what is the greatest beauty that can be enjoyed by someone of something? It's certainly more towards the "in person" perspective. But I find that to see that thing or place from all sides over much time is to see its beauty more. Would not God, in his omnipresence, be the greatest beholder to the beauty He has made?

Beauty is no longer fully achieved in the beholder but: the Maker. God can see all amazing attributes, from all sides, through all time. The Grand Canyon... the Great Barrier Reef... the Alps... a nebula... you.

God's most prized creation is, oddly, us. He loves us above all else and finds us most to be enjoyed. Everything else, He's going to destroy. We will be kept aside for His keeping.

With Thanksgiving tomorrow, approach the Lord with a truer perspective of thanks. Strive to see Him in His creation, and praise and thank Him for that which we can't fathom. Like a God who died for the only creation to turn its back on Him.

That is love unfathomable.

Psalm 75:1 - "We give thanks to You, O God, we give thanks, for Your name is near; men declare Your wondrous works."

1 comment:

joey said...

I think God's omnipresence is the one attribute that I take for granted the most. I never usually think about it. But to actually meditate on God's presence would change my perspective. Some possible changes:

1. less quick to sin
2. more reverence and moment by moment worship
3. confidence

I love Christ's promise in the Great Commission... "I am with you always, even to the end of the age." I pray that I will understand that.