parasites.



Exodus 20:1-3


"And God spoke all these words, saying,
I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.
You shall have no other gods before me."


Idols seem to attach themselves to us in spots where we aren't able to see.
They subtely drain us of the joy and passion we have for God's glory.


Here are some "X-ray questions" that David Powlison gives us (from his book"Seeing With New Eyes") to help identify if there are idols in our life.





*What am I preoccupied with?

*What is the first thing on my mind in the morning and the last thing on my mind at night?

*How would I complete this statement: “If only _____________, then I would be happy, fulfilled, and secure”?

*What do I want to preserve or avoid?

*Where do I put my trust?

*What do I fear?

*When a certain desire is not met, do I feel frustration, anxiety, resentment, bitterness, anger, or depression?

*Is there something I desire so much that I am willing to disappoint or hurt others in order to have it?

No comments: