An excerpt from J.I Packer's Knowing God :
"...The question concerns our motives and intentions as students.We need to ask ourselves: what is my ultimate aim and object in occupying my mind with these things? What do I intend to do with my knowledge about God? for the fact that we have to face is this: If we pursue theological knowledge for its own sake, it is bound to go bad on us. It will make us proud and conceited. The very greatness of the subject matter will intoxicate us, and we shall come to see ourselves as a cut above other Christians because of our interest and grasp of it...For, as Paul said, " Knowledge puffs up... The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know" (1 Cor 8:1-2).
Our concern must be to enlarge our acquaintance, not simply with the doctrine of God's attributes, but with the living God whose attributes they are."

No comments: