Scripture Reading and Meditation

I need more of that in my life.

I had recently been blessed with a copy of "365 Days With Wilberforce" devotional, from a beloved friend. You may read of my obsession with Wilberforce here and read a thorough biography by John Piper here. Each day I open to a new blessing this book provides me. I can relate to many things that Wilberforce had experienced during his abolitionist days, and I find myself captivated by his mentality and passion for the good of humanity. He knew what it was to be a witness for the Lord, and to fight the good fight regardless of the overwhelming opposition and hostility that was sure to meet him, and a healthy, real understanding of his inability to continue without Divine help in light of his own weaknesses. Wilberforce was familiar with the spiritual-draining a secular environment produces, and the importance of daily mediation and renewal of the mind for the Lord. Here is what Wilberforce had to say:

When not unavoidably prevented by company or House of Commons I will take an hour, or at least half an hour, for private devotions, including Scripture reading and meditation, immediately before family prayers. Besides other benefits, one will be to send me back into society with a more spiritual mind, and to help me to preserve it through the evening, and to make the conversation more edifying and instructive. The best hope will arise from my bearing about with me a deep impression of my own weakness, and of the urgent need of Divine help*.

Considering whatever secular environment you are in, spending time in the presence of God is most important, for necessary spiritual renewal. From my particular experience working in Hollywood, I've had to be extremely disciplined in this area, or I will be heavily tempted to drift and spiral into a world of depression and discouragement. Wilberforce memorized Psalm 119 and quoted it on his daily walks to and from Parliament and his home, filling his heart with Scripture and rejoicing in God's goodness. Seeking out windows to spend time with the Lord are necessary- especially when we are in the midst of a spiritual world that continues to war against the holy things of God.
Last night I was reading an article from Desiring God by Jon Bloom about knowing God's will. He mentioned that we need to be in a state of renewal, and fellowship with the Spirit before we should make a decision. Many of those choices and answers are not direct in the Bible, but require the believer to depend on God, seek Him, and trust that He will guide every step. In this constant fellowship we are more attuned to the things of the Spirit, and our words and thoughts tend to be more Christ-like. You may be in situations where you are not always able to speak Jesus, but actions and attitude speak for you. A life that is being sanctified by the Spirit will bear fruit like Christ, and a life that suppresses the Spirit will bear fruit of selfishness and pride. I am going to make an effort to take that time during the day to spend with the Lord- and renew my spirit that I can be sent back with a new attitude and joy for the King.

*The life of William Wilberforce (1838)

No comments: