A lesson from Job.




I took my lunch break today by making a visit to 7-11, getting a bite and an energy drink, sat in a car, and read Job 1-2;38-42 (as suggested from a friend who knew what I was dealing with in my heart). I knew a little about this book; however I hadn't read it before today.

After work, I was able to sit down and take a few to read a few chapters of the dialog of Job and his 3 friends. This book is a great book to turn to in the time of confusion, pain or disillusionment. As seen in Job, God gives and He can take away whenever He pleases. Why? We might find out...we might not. However, knowing that whatever God does for us is ultimately bring glory to Himself, is great joy. There's two major things I picked up from this book; One being God's Sovereignty in our suffering, the other being God's purpose in our suffering.

First, God is aware of our past, current and future suffering and is in control of it all! I knew this...but I obviously needed to be reminded. God was there with Job during his suffering, He is the one that Satan gained permission from in order to invade Job's life to bring about pain. Because of this, I can be assured that when I am in pain and suffering, God not only is aware of it, He is in absolute control of it.

Second, God has a purpose my suffering and pain. God challenged Satan to take away Job's possessions and family. Satan thought that Job would curse God's name if he were take it all from Job. God challenged Satan to do all of this because He KNEW how Job would respond. God knew that Job would overcome it all and bring glory to Himself! Isn't that enough!!! Isn't it enough to know that my pain and suffering is being put upon me because in the end it brings glory to God!? Job was tried, tested, and approved. However, Job never knew why he suffered. I don't always know why things happen. Sometimes God makes it evident of the reasoning, but He has no obligation to. But I can trust that God does bring upon pain and suffering so His name will be praised and glory onto Himself. That is enough!

I post this not thinking this will be some new realization, but as a reminder; a reminder that this life isn't ours and it's not about us.

No comments: