Irresistable Grace #3



To add to Josh's "thunder", and his post down under; I would like to point out a couple of specific details about Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus.

What did Jesus mean by:

*"unless one is born of water and the Spirit,"

and

* "The wind blows where it wishes,"

and

*Why was Nicodemus so shocked and ask "How can these things be?"

and

*Why did Jesus respond "“Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things?"

Well, I believe Jesus was referring to the teaching of the Law and the Prophets. Specifically this verse (which is often cross-reference to the John 3 passage:



Ezekial 36:25-27

"Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols.

Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances."



I believe that being born of water and spirit was referring to regeneration. Jesus expected Nicodemus to know this since he was a teacher of the law.

Can we resist God from putting into us a new heart? Can we resist Him as he "causes" us to walk in His statutes"? It says "YOU WILL be careful to observe My ordinances" after he puts a new heart in us.

The greek word for wind is "Pneuma", which is the word Jesus used when he said "the wind (pneuma) blows where it wishes"
The greek word for spirit is also "Pneuma". Jesus also used it in the same context saying:

"The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit. (Pneuma)"

Jesus was clearly using a 'play on words'. Comparing the spirit to the wind in the way in which the spirit works like the wind - blowing (working) where He wishes.

The spirit works regardless if we are resisting or not. This is why Nicodemus was so shocked. God's sovereignty didn't rub him the right way.

No comments: