Our Journey, Our Song, Our Story: Not Taking for Granted the Gospel


If you were at Resolved Conference two weekends ago, the lyrics below will not be unfamiliar to you. The words were penned by Jordan Kauflin, son of Bob Kauflin, a well-known and faithful worship leader, the director of Sovereign Grace Music and the author of "Worship Matters."

I love this song, not only because the melody is rich and beautiful, but because the words are loaded with doctrine and portray an accurate Gospel-centered view (which sadly is becoming more and more of an anomaly in Christian music, thanks to the highly self-centered, shallow, and sappy evangelical environment of the twenty-first century).

When I sing this song, I am reminded of the prodigal son and of the reality that while I grew up in a Christian home and have attended church all of my life, this song about the prodigal son's journey, is MY JOURNEY, MY SONG, AND MY STORY as well! "I once was lost in darkest night Yet thought I knew the way...But as I ran my hell-bound race Indifferent to the cost You looked upon my helpless state And led me to the cross."

If you have been on the go this summer, busy while on vacation, at work, or even with ministry, or if you have been in the faith and in the church for so long, the Gospel message is second-nature to you, I would encourage you to Youtube or purchase "All I Have Is Christ" by Jordan Kauflin on iTunes, then to play it and stop to reflect upon the words.

If you belong to Christ, whether you were saved out of a background of drugs and premarital sex, or you were saved from sitting on a pew bench and singing about the glorious realities of the Gospel, without them having ANY effect upon your heart or life, remember that this is YOUR JOURNEY, YOUR SONG, AND YOUR STORY as well...then get on your knees and thank our great Lord and Savior and ask for His grace so that you never take His substitutionary work on your behalf for granted again!

I once was lost in darkest night
Yet thought I knew the way.
The sin that promised joy and life
Had led me to the grave.
I had no hope that You would own
A rebel to Your will.
And if You had not loved me first
I would refuse You still.

But as I ran my hell-bound race
Indifferent to the cost
You looked upon my helpless state
And led me to the cross.
And I beheld God’s love displayed
You suffered in my place
You bore the wrath reserved for me
Now all I know is grace.

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life
Now, Lord, I would be Yours alone
And live so all might see
The strength to follow Your commands
Could never come from me.
Oh Father, use my ransomed life
In any way You choose.
And let my song forever be
My only boast is You.

© 2008 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI), by Jordan Kauflin

No comments: