Treasures In Heaven



But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Matt 6: 20-21


I’ve been trying to figure out a way to bring my huge CD collection and “swanky” sneakers into heaven. I really have! I’m stuck for the moment so I’ll blog.

2 years ago, from transition to living at my apartment in to my home I decided to live at a motel for a week. It was your typical run of the mill motel. It had its perks of room service and continental breakfast but for the most part the room was a dump. It had worn out carpets, old dressers, moldy smell…the works. To be honest it only took about a day before I wanted to rip out the carpets and install hardwood floors, install linoleum floors in the bathroom, and re- paint the walls just to brighten up the place.
But as common sense would have it I didn’t for three main reasons.

1) The stay was temporary.
2) I couldn’t take any of it with me.
3) I had a new home waiting for me.

Why spend all my time and resources into re-modeling this motel when I could pour it into my home? My heart was elsewhere.

As obvious as the decision may have sounded we do the same in out Christian life. We cannot take earthly possessions with us into heaven no matter how much time and effort we put into obtaining it. But we put so much of our effort into doing it regardless.

Time, money, and health are gracious resources given to us by God. We can either do two things; use them to obtain earthly temporary things or use them to build up the eternal kingdom.

But I sure do wish we get to wear cool sneakers in heaven!

2 comments:

joey said...

Vince, you're awesome. Thanks man. I love your honesty and your clarity.

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

Amen, amen, truly I sayeth unto thee, you da bomb. God bless.