Self-love & The Gospel


The gospel reveals to me the breathtaking glory and loveliness of God, and in so doing, it lures my heart away from love of self and leaves me enthralled by Him instead. The more I behold God’s glory in the gospel, the more lovely He appears to me. And the more lovely He appears, the more self fades into the background like a form love interest who can no longer compete for my affections.

Preaching the gospel to myself every day reminds me of God’s astounding love for me and also of His infinite worthiness to be loved by me above all else. These reminders leave me increasingly absorbed with Christ and with God’s ultimate plan to gather together all heavenly and earthly things to Him

Milton Vincent
A Gospel Primer

(Photo by: David Hensler)

2 comments:

Joshua Ritchie said...

How odd that many pastors preaching about self-love as if the Bible commanded it. Jesus said that on these "two" laws hang all the law and prophets...love God, love others as yourself. Two commandments...not a third one that says love yourself.

Scripture actually put self-love in a long list of other sins.

We definitely need more injections of the gospel into our life. It never gets old, does it!

Caroline Kaunds said...

Preaching the gospel to ourselves does remind us of God's unconditional love for us.So let us not live through even one day thanking Him and giving Him the glory He deserves.

Praise God for the new life we have in Him:)