The Five Solas

I've been wanting to get the Five Solas (or Tinkerbell) tattooed for the past two years. Ok, Tinkerbell wasn't honestly an option. But the 5 Solas were pivotal in shaping the past five years of my life. My brother who's been doing tats for the past several years was kind enough to do it for free. It was very exciting to have my first tattoo be something of extreme significance for me. Even though I didn't need it in tattoo form, I will continually be reminded of five great truths from Scripture.

It took just under three hours to complete it. Since my wife was out of town for the weekend, I invited over my good friend Stephen and his wife to participate in the watching of the etching of my skin. Actually, they played Wii for a little while and then popped over to see the on-going progress of artwork. Stephen is the other elder in our church and for some odd reason, having him there made the experience all the more memorable and meaningful. No, he didn't have to hold my hand.

Resurrection Days are obviously meaningful to us all. Being that we celebrate the death and resurrection of Christ every Sunday, we don't hype up our "easter" services or do anything out of the ordinary. And while for some people Resurrection Day services stand out in their mind from all other services, for me, they tend to blurr together. I don't mean that in a bad way. I mean that in a matter of fact way, as if to say that all worship services are a privilege to partake in as the Lord feeds us His word. But seeing that I got a tat on this day, I imagine that Resurrection Day 2009 will stand out for a long time.

The previous picture I posted was taken with a cell phone. Sorry for the poor quality of the image. Today I had my wife take some up close pictures with her Canon Rebel camera. You can click on them to enlarge them and see the detail. The redness should disappear in time.

In time I do plan on getting only one other tattoo. The next one will be the doctrines of grace. Not sure yet if I'm going to use the TULIP phrases or the phrases Radical Depravity, Unconditional Election, Particular Redemption, Effectual Grace and Preservation/Perseverance of the Saints. Any suggestions?

For now I hope you'll enjoy the pictures.





5 comments:

Caroline Kaunds said...

cool tattoo.. i've been wanting to get a tattoo for so long now..(just dont wanna be a stumbling block to some, who aint comfortable wid the idea of a believer gettin a tattoo:)

The excrutiating pain is also keepin me from gettin one.. ha ha

Joshua Ritchie said...

The pain was not bad at all. It was 50 times less than what I thought it would be. There were a few times where it hurt a little more. At times it actually tickled. At times I got lost in conversation and forgot the pain altogether.

I, too, was concerned about my brothers and sisters in Christ. I waited a couple of years and mentioned a desire to get one during that time. I asked others what they thought and they all showed me theirs and no one took issue with it.

Some asked about the Leviticus passage and I explained the reason behind the Jewish people not getting body marking and piercings.

What's interesting to see is that sometimes those who are most against getting tattoos because of that passage are often ok with ear piercings. That doesn't seem to be consistent.

Anyway, there it is! My brother said that this was the first one he'd done like this, so he was excited.

Caroline Kaunds said...

I am glad that it was not that painful:)i remember askin one of the elders of my church, and he was pretty chill about it.. i agree abt the ear piercing thing.. In India it is very common to get your ear or even nose pierced.. where as in some places it aint..

but i know for sure i will be gettin a tattoo one day:)

Naiesha said...

After seeing your tattoo, I was reminded of 1 Cor. 10:31
"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." YES!! All for the glory of God!
Neat tattoo :)

Lindsay said...

That is really cool, I'm glad to know someone else liked that idea too, thanks for sharing it with me!