Asking and Not Receiving

Matthew 7:7-12 [7] “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. [8] For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. [9] Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? [10] Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? [11] If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

Experientially this verse does not always seem to "play" out the way it is stated. We have all asked the Lord to answer our prayers and have at times have had them denied or go unanswered. Why is this so? A couple of thoughts on why this may be so: (1). God is lying or (2). We have failed to fully understand or have altogether misunderstood what Christ is saying. Since Scripture says that God cannot lie, I opt for #2.

The Apostle Paul gives us a peak into why God sometimes does not answer our prayers even though those prayers may be very godly and from our perspective seem to be in line with God's will. It is always good to allow Scripture to shed light on other passages that may seem to present problems for our faith. In this case 2 Corinthians helps us to understand Matthew 7 a little better.

2 Corinthians 12:7-9 So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. [8] Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. [9] But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.


God desires for His power to be made known. He desires for His glory to be displayed in ways that maximize the glory of Christ. Although Paul prayed for the "messenger of Satan" to be removed, God deemed that such an answer to prayer would result in God's power not being on display. Our prayers, though they be focused on that, may be prayers that, if answered, would result in less glory for Christ. God, in His wisdom, will do all to exalt His Son to the greatest degree so that our joy may be in seeing His power and might fully displayed.

I, for one, am glad that God is smarter than my desires and wiser that my prayers. Although we are taught how to pray in the word, we must always realize that even our prayers are a fallible, yet a necessary and commanded part of the Christian life. But be sure to always have the glory of Christ in mind when you pray to your heavenly Father.

John 14:13 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

No comments: