Hostile Minds

Colossians 1:21 And you, who once were alienated and hostile in
mind, doing evil deeds...


Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity to boast of Christ to some men who were hostile towards the Lord and His Word. I was at work looking for a guest to help but there were none at that time. One co-worker pointed out to another that I was a pastor. The 2nd gentlemen replied, "Oh, really." And the conversation started from there. Gentlemen #2 began to ask questions and state why he did not believe the Bible. Before I could reply to anything, Gentleman #3 jumped in and began to grind his axe as well. Sparks were flying everywhere and all I did was barely affirm that I had been a pastor for some time and studied the Bible most of my life.

With their axes sharpened they tried to tear down Christianity and the Word of God. I waited patiently for them to quiet down and I said, "If you like I can try to answer some of your questions. I have heard them before and I believe that Scripture offers reasonable responses to the objections you've raised. Now whether you believe them or accept them is another issue altogether. But I will tell you what the Bible says."

Their questions and statements ranged from: "Why would God order the slaughtering of babies?" "How is it fair for the native who's never heard of Jesus to be damned to hell?" "How do you know the Bible wasn't just written by men who had some great stories to tell?" I don't know about you, but I had never heard these tough questions...wink, wink.

In their hostility towards God they assumed that there were no valid explanations. I said, "Whoa! Let's slow down and try to answer them one at a time. You're asking some great questions and there are good answers to them. Let's start with the first one you mentioned." Knowing that some of these questions require some background and prior knowledge to answer them, I started at a place that they were not familiar with...God's holiness and hate for sin. But within a minute or two of the explanation they cut me off and said, "Get to the point." Seeing that their minds were set against God, my only hope was to continue declaring the Word of the Lord. I cast all confidence in my ability to persuade to the side and trusted in the Lord's Word which does not return void.

A fellow believer that was listening to the conversation later expressed to me that he was frustrated with their inability to listen to a Biblical response. They didn't really want answers. They really weren't seeking the truth. They just wanted to vent and grind their axes. Thank goodness the Word of the Lord is sharper than any man-made mental axe. Perhaps God penetrated a hard heart. I may never know.

But the one statement that clearly pointed to their spiritual blindness and natural ignorance had to do with the following Scripture. According to Gentleman #3, the follow Scripture was a clear indication of contradictions in the Word of God.

Matthew 5:38 [38] “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ [39] But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

There is a difference between law and grace. One requires that recompense be paid to the offended party. The other allows for graciousness, mercy and forgiveness. That is what the gospel is all about. They were straining to make a case against Scripture, when the Scripture they were so concerned about could have led them to find salvation from God's wrath in the mercy of Christ. Pray that the Holy Spirit regenerates these dead hearts.

No comments: